[HOT] – Bomber Strikes Near Times Square, Disrupting City but Killing None



But the weapon of fortune did not completely explode, and the attacker himself was the only one seriously injured in the blast, which s'. was unfolded just before 7:20 am

Law enforcement authorities said that the attacker, identified by the police as Akayed Ullah, 27, had chosen the police. place because of its Christmas-themed posters, a reminder of the strikes in Europe. omb in retaliation for the US air strikes against targets of the Islamic State in Syria and elsewhere.

This was the third attack in New York since September 2016, and the second in two months, only a few weeks after eight people were killed. a truck attack along a bicycle path of the Hudson River. Like the previous two, Monday's attack seems to have been led by a so-called terrorist "werewolf".

The Monday morning blast rang out in subway tunnels just off Times Square and filled with the Port Authority's bus station with smoke as commuters fled. Even though the smoke still filled the room, Mr. Ullah was tamed by the agents of the port authority.

Akayed Ullah Credit NY Department of Motor Vehicles, through the intermediary of the associated press

After he was subdued, Mr. Ullah was taken to the Bellevue Hospital where he was in serious condition with burns to his hands and abdomen, according to Daniel A. Nigro, Commissioner of the New York Fire Department. Three others suffered minor injuries, he said.

An immigrant from Bangladesh, Mr. Ullah came to live in Brooklyn through a visa program made available to people with American parents

Monday afternoon, in his first remarks on the attack, President Trump attacked the current immigration system that allows extended family members, not just spouses or minor children, to receive green cards. that this flawed system inflicts security and the US economy is clear for a long time, "said Mr. Trump in a statement," I am determined to improve our immigration system so that our country and our people be the first.

The attack took place in a long pedestrian walkway connecting the Eighth Avenue, Seventh Avenue and Broadway subway lines. "Among the commuters traveling under Times Square was a man in a sweatshirt. Hood then came a deafening boom – from him – and then smoke

Everyone ran

Mr. Ullah had tied the homemade bomb to himself with a "combination" Velcro and tie rods, "said James P. O'Neill, the Commissioner of the New York Police Department.It was roughly composed of a pipe length stuffed with matchsticks, including the ends stopped A broken Christmas tree light was the detonator: When it was lit, the filament ignited the match heads, the camera being powered by a nine-volt battery

] The explosion, captured on video surveillance, burned and cut Mr. Ullah, but as he did not detonate properly, he did not produce shrapnel, often the element the More deadly than a homemade bomb.

"I think he was ready to die, and we see him hooking up the wires on the video," said a law enforcement official who spoke under conditionality. Anonymity because the assessment of the actions of the suspect was still preliminary

While people were circulating in the station, the officer Anthony Manfredini of the Police Department of the Port Authority rushed to the smoke. said Robert Egbert, a spokesman for the main police union that represents the officers of the Port Authority. A former sailor, the 28-year-old agent Manfredini, found the suspect on the ground with "visible wires coming out of his jacket in his pants," said Mr. Egbert

. Gallagher and Drew Preston. They arrived just as Mr. Ullah was "looking for a cell phone," which the interrogated agents thought they could use to trigger another device, Egbert said. They plunged it and fought against it

Emergency vehicles near the Port Authority bus station on Eighth Avenue in Manhattan on Monday Credit Jeenah Moon for the New York Times

"These officers went blind in this situation, not taking Awareness of the danger that once they confronted the suspect, "Mr. Egbert

Police published a picture of Mr. Ullah that appeared to have been taken inside. of the underpass after the explosion. In this one, it is wrapped in a fetal position;

Mayor Bill de Blasio was found for the second time in two months to calm the city after a terrorist attack, in this case, on the system that moves millions of people every day through the city.

"Our lives revolve around the subway," he said at a press conference on Eighth Avenue just hours after the incident. "The choice of New York is always for a reason, because we are a beacon to the world, and we are actually showing that a society of many religions and backgrounds can work."

"The terrorists want to undermine that," added the mayor. "They aspire to attack New York."

Investigators, led by the Joint Terrorism Task Force, believe Mr. Ullah acted alone, but they are just beginning to examine documents from excavations and other tracks .

Surveillance cameras captured moments before and after a suspect appeared to detonate a bomb in a New York subway tunnel connecting Times Square stations and of Port Authority Published Dec. On 11, 2017

Christina Bethea was in the underground bridge, headed for her job as a security guard, when the explosion nearly toppled her, sending a mist of smoke into the corridor filled with commuters. She did not see where she was coming from, she said. "As soon as we heard" boom ", we started running," she said. An hour after the attack, she was standing in front of the bus terminal, calling her mother and father in North Carolina to tell them that she was O.K. "I feel good," Ms. Bethea said. "I am alive!"

All morning, thwarted travelers poured into the streets of Times Square, towing suitcases in a lost silence. They gathered in front of police cordon strung along the busiest arteries of the city, vacant boulevards at the height of the holiday season and filmed the red lights of many emergency vehicles

] a building where Mr. Ullah lived with his parents on Ocean Parkway, as well as two other residences. At around 11 am, officers drove a woman in the dark coat of the Ocean Parkway home, a gray hijab covering her hair, in a patrol car, and spun. The region is home to a few thousand residents born in Bangladesh and represents the heart of their Brooklyn community, with shops and mosques built along Church Avenue.

Mr. Ullah is a permanent resident of the United States, according to Tyler Q. Houlton, a spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security, who arrived in 2011.

The method of Attack – self-detonation, or at least attempt – introduces something of a new element into a long history of the city as a target, a place that has somehow avoided the attackers carrying bombs that are the mark of terrorism in places like Israel and Nigeria.

on the World Trade Center in 2001, there were about 26 terrorist plots against the city that officials identified as being thwarted "by intelligence, investigation and prohibition" said John J. Miller, Commissioner of the Police Intelligence and Counter-Terrorism Department. a press conference Monday

But more recently, the series of foiled plots has given way to tighter calls.

In 2009, law enforcement forces prevented a cell of people from links with al Qaeda agents to carry out plans to bomb subway trains. A year later, in May 2010, Faisal Shahzad, a Pakistani immigrant, tried to blow up a truck with explosives in Times Square – but his devices did not go out.

In September 2016, a crude craft explosive made from a pressure cooker filled with shrapnel remained on 27th Street in Chelsea, explodes but does not kill anyone. Before Monday, the latest attack took place on Halloween, when a man driven by ISIS propaganda drove a rental truck on a West Side bike path in Manhattan, killing eight people and wounding twelve others. The man, Sayfullo Saipov, was arrested and indicted by federal prosecutors; He Pleaded Not Guilty

Although no official announcement was made, federal and local law enforcement officials indicated that Mr. Ullah would be prosecuted before a police officer. Manhattan Federal Court by the US Attorney's Office. the southern district of New York, Joon H. Kim.

But Monday afternoon, the city was busy forgetting. On 42nd Street, tourists strolled quietly, or rushed into the reopened bus depot to catch their rides.

A few hours earlier, John Frank stood in this street outside the Port Authority. "That's how it was strong," says Mr. Frank, 54. Shaken, he ran away a few blocks, and lay a few minutes lying, leaning against a trash can for the support.

"In New York City, we are vulnerable to many things," Frank said. "These incidents occur too frequently."

Reportage was contributed by Al Baker, Christina Caron, Jonah Engel Bromwich, Luis Ferré-Sadurni, Winnie Hu, Sean Piccoli, Joseph Goldstein, Liz Robbins, Brian M Rosenthal, Nate Schweber and John Surico. The research was conducted by Susan C. Beachy.

A version of this article is printed on in A 1 of the New York Edition with the title: The man blew up the bomb that he transported under Times Times . Order Reprints | Paper of today | Register


Post ads! (Why?)

Thanks for reading Bomber Strikes Near Times Square, Disrupting City but Killing None, don’t forget to share this awesome news with your friends and family.

>>>>> Source link

Leave a reply "[HOT] – Bomber Strikes Near Times Square, Disrupting City but Killing None"