All rights reserved. (Want to get this note by email? Here is The inscription .)
Here is What You Should Know:
In Search of Escapes
• The lawyers and accountants examine the new tax legislation
We examined a tax credit voted in 2004 that illustrates the creativity of American companies in the interpretation of the tax code
The IRS advised the owners on Wednesday that early repayment of property taxes before the end of the year might not be profitable. (You can find our tax calculator here.)
What 615 Men Say about Harassment
• About a third of survey respondents said that they had done something at work Over the past year, this behavior would be considered as reprehensible behavior or sexual harassment.
The Times poll, sexual harassment researchers, and the Morning Consult survey company were representative of men working full-time. Here is what men said:
• In our new newsletter The Moment #MeToo, the genre editor of the Times offers updates and analysis. Register here.
Suicide Bombing in Afghanistan
• At least 41 people were killed and dozens wounded today in a bomb attack that hit a number of people. Shiite cultural center in Kabul, as well as a news agency.
According to the organizations that monitor extremist groups, the Islamic State claims responsibility for it.
• Since January 2016 the UN mission in Afghanistan has documented more than a dozen attacks against Shiites
] Roy Moore pursues to block election results
• Mr. Moore, the first Republican to lose a race in the US Senate in Alabama in 25 years, filed a complaint Wednesday His campaign supported that Alabama authorities had misdirected allegations of misconduct during the elections, that Democrat Doug Jones won by less than 22,000 votes.
The Secretary of State of Alabama John Merrill, who had voted for Mr. Moore, had said earlier: "I have not seen any irregularities or inconsistencies out of the norm.
New York crime up to the levels of the 1950s
• In 1990, there were 2,245 murders in the city. As of Wednesday, there were 286 this year – the lowest number since the beginning of reliable recordings.
With the exception of rape, each of the major categories of crime declined. If the trend continues throughout 2017, the crime will have fallen for 27 consecutive years.
Mayor Bill de Blasio and Police Commissioner James O'Neill focus on gangs and repeat offenders, who
• But Research suggests that crime trends are closely related to economic conditions. "What the Fed is doing will have more impact than any conviction or police reform," said a criminologist.
The robots arrive, but Sweden goes well
• In much of the world, workers are more and more worried about the threat that they have. automation will represent for jobs.
"In Sweden, if you ask a union leader:" Are you afraid of new technologies? "No, I'm afraid of old technology," said a government official. "Jobs are disappearing, then we train people for new jobs. We will not protect jobs. But we will protect the workers.
• Peter Goodman reports that while Americans tend to reject Nordic countries as nannies led by socialists, Sweden presents the possibility that innovation flourishes where cushions are abundant. against failure.
• The Venezuelan state oil company formerly a cash cow, is on the point to collapse
• The recreational use of marijuana becomes Monday, California, cannabis entrepreneurs are struggling to find the expertise and funding.
The Environmental Protection Agency Must Revise Its Standard almost 17 years old for dangerous levels of lead in paint and dust in the year, a court ordered.
• It was not the best year for technology as can be proven by Equifax, Uber, and Juicero. We looked at what must be repaired, and what was repaired
And for the crowd half full of glass, here are some bright spots.
• A Daily Movie Trip The idea of MoviePass quickly attracted a million subscribers, but multiplex operators are skeptical
• US stocks were up on Wednesday. Here is a snapshot of world markets
Tips, both old and new, for a more fulfilling life.
• Should you take a shower in the morning or at night? Yes.
• The World 10 Good Business for 2018.
• Recipe of the Day : Try a Carrot Soup and Lemon Cauliflower for Comfort
• Behind the Scenes of History
In the 360 video of today Today, explore the exhibitions and laboratories of the American Museum of Natural History in New York
• The Year in Pictures
The summary of our Times visualizations and favorite multimedia stories is not to be missed (if your
You can find all our articles of the year here
• When Harry met Barry
• Best of e late-night TV
With most shows on hold, our recaps will return next week
Meanwhile, we looked at a year when Washington kept late comedy animators.
• Quote of the day
"In fact, today we are up to 6 positive.It is fine.The last two days, we have not exceeded zero. "
– Zack Hargrove a meteorologist in Bismarck, ND, where the Midwest and the Northeast are locked in a record cold snap.
History of Return
"The young writer touches us with a piquant melancholy, a kind of dark shine."
This was a description of Heinrich Böll, the German writer born 100 years ago this month, in the first review of his work in The Times, in 1955.
[English] Sir. Böll's writing was informed by his experiences as a soldier in World War II, when he was captured by US troops.
"I will never forget these very young boys who were climbing the hill, who was to take me prisoner" 1945-19007
The experience has transformed, in the words of a correspondent, in "enemy of big and small tyrannies, antimilitarist and dubious." One of the most widely read authors in Germany, Mr. Böll won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1972.
Months later, a Times reporter asked him what he thought of the United States.
answer: "You have Watergate and you have the freedom of the press.You have the desert and you have New York, the terrible provincialism and the appalling modernism.Be American means to have the chance to To be what you want. "
Patrick Boehler contributed to the report.
Your morning briefing is published on weekdays at 6 am and updated throughout the morning . Browse past briefings here .
If the photos do not display, please download the updated New York Times application on iTunes ] or Google Play .
What would you like to see here? Contact us at [email protected] .
You can get the note of information in your inbox Sunday at Friday. We have four global editions, dated for the Americas  Europe ] Asia and Australia  and an evening talk week evenings. View our full range of free newsletters Here
Advertise the pubs! (Why?)
Thanks for reading Kabul, Roy Moore, Cannabis: Your Thursday Briefing, don’t forget to share this awesome news with your friends and family.
>>>>> Source link